What should my Policy include?
- Your businesses’ name and contact details
- The kind of personal information collected and stored
- How personal information is collected and stored
- Reasons for collecting personal information
- Use and disclosure of personal information
- How users, customers and clients can access or correct their information
- How users, customers and clients can lodge complaints about the handling of their information
What is ‘personal’ and ‘sensitive’ information?
The Privacy Act protects both personal and sensitive information. Generally, sensitive information is protected more heavily than other kinds of personal information.
Personal information includes any information that could identify someone, such as:
- Their name, address, or date of birth;
- Credit or financial information;
- Employment information;
- Photographs; or
- IP address.
Sensitive information is personal information about a specific aspect of someone, such as their:
- Race or ethnicity;
- Political associations;
- Sexual orientation or identity;
- Criminal record; or
This article was written by Ruth Ong.