Late last year, the Fair Work Commission amended the General Retail Award 2018, which applies to casual and shift workers working weekend shifts.
The Commission determined to increase penalty rates for casual retail employees on Saturdays and week nights after 6:00pm in a staged process. Key changes to the General Retail Award, include:
- Casual workers will, in addition to casual loading, be entitled to the following amounts for all work performed on a Saturday:
- 15% from 1 November 2018;
- 20% from 1 October 2019; and
- 25% from 1 March 2020.
- Casual workers will, in addition to casual loading, be entitled to further amounts for hours after 6pm on a weekday:
- 5% from 1 November 2018;
- 10% from 1 October 2019;
- 15% from 1 March 2020;
- 20% from 1 October 2020; and
- 25% from 1 March 2021.
- Sunday shift full time and part time workers will be entitled to the following:
- 195% from 1 November 2018;
- 190% from 1 July 2018; and
- 175% from 1 July 2020.
- Casual shift workers will be entitled to the following amounts on Sundays (inclusive of casual loading):
- 220% from 1 November 2018;
- 215% from 1 July 2019; and
- 200% from 1 July 2020.
The Commission also determined to reduce the Sunday shift work penalty rate for permanent and casual employees.
If you need assistance with complying with your obligations to your employees, do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com or give me a call on 1300 033 934 for a no-obligation quote.
Source: Fair Work Commission